Forget feed-in tariffs! Five reasons to take a fresh look at renewable energy
Government incentives in recent years have brought renewables in to the mainstream, but somewhat inevitably this has created a close association in the public mind between renewable energy and payback period.
We don’t necessarily consider financial payback when making lots of other home improvements – and, just like a new kitchen or bathroom, there are lots of great reasons for wanting to install renewable energy which have nothing to do with financial returns. Here are just a few:-
- Enhance the look of your home. The latest Italian wood pellet stoves are beautifully designed items which are installed in chic new Alpine hotels and feature in interiors magazines. Like a new kitchen or bathroom, visually appealing design can transform the experience of living in your home.
- Improved comfort levels. The addition of a room heater or central heating system running on renewable fuels can provide a cosy living environment where previously rooms were cold and uninviting. This is all the more the case if you introduce the warming focal point of a real flame in a property.
- Being up-to-date. Renewable energy is increasingly becoming integrated into newly built homes. Solar thermal panels, set in the roof like a Velux window, are a bold statement which brings a property into the present.
- Many of just like the idea of having useful technology at our service. Having a bath heated in water heated by that day’s sun. Being able to use solar energy harvested in the daytime to run appliances, computers and TV in the evening. Being able to switch on your heating from your mobile phone so you arrive to a warm house. Being fascinated by, and owning, a piece of current technology can be a joy in itself.
- Making a positive lifestyle choice to leave a lighter footprint on the planet. Not using up the planet’s valuable finite resources whilst at the same time reducing greenhouse gas emissions is responsible behaviour. For many, renewable energy is the natural choice; a tangible and important expression of how they wish to live.
None of these reasons are financial. They just make your life better – or make you feel better. What better reason is there to purchase something for your home?
Iain Paterson Ph.D – Celtic Renewable Energy Ltd – www.celticrenewableenergy.co.uk